If you are looking for something that is super impressive and really really yummy this is a great go to dessert. IF you are an OVER-ACHIEVER make your own homemade red velvet cake and homemade frosting.
I call these truffles instead of cake balls because they are much more moist than cake balls and very very rich. This recipe yields A LOT of cake balls. Depending on the size you make them it can make between 25 and 100 of them.
INGREDIENTS:1 box of red velvet cake mix (and what ever additional ingredients it calls for)*
1 container of whipped cream cheese frosting*
1 bar of white almond bark
Sugar Sprinkles (any color)
Powdered Sugar or Cocoa Powder*
1. Bake the cake as directed on the box.
2. Remove the cake from the pan and place in a large bowl to cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
3. When the cake is COMPLETELY cool use your hands to break it into teeny tiny pieces.
4. Add the entire can of frosting to the cake mixture and use your hands to mix thoroughly.
5. Lay out a lot of parchment.
6. For large truffles take 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture and roll it into a ball and place on the parchment paper. For medium ones use 1 tablespoon and for very small use a little more than a teaspoon.
7. Once you have used all of the cake mix, you must decide which decorating route to take! I prefer to melt almond bark and put it in a piping bag and then drizzle it over the cake balls and sprinkle on sugar crystals. You can also dust the balls with powdered sugar or cocoa powder.
8. Let them sit out until the chocolate is dry and the truffles are a little dried out on the outside.
*If you plan to decorate with chocolate, these ingredients are non-essential.